What are Congressional Military Academy Recommendations?
In order to attend one of the United State Military Service Academies (U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, and U.S. Military Academy at West Point) you must receive a Congressional Nomination from one of your State’s U.S. Senators, a U.S. Congressman, or the Vice President. Please note that the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a Congressional Nomination. The competition for a Congressional Nomination is high, so I encourage you to apply to all of your nominating sources. Be sure to check with any of the Academies you are applying to for a list of their additional nominating sources. To apply for a nomination from my office, click “Apply Here” below.
In order to be considered for a Congressional Nomination to one of the U.S. Military Service Academies, an applicant must meet all of the eligibility criteria required by the respective Service Academy, including the following:
- Be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 by July 1st of the year he or she is admitted to the Service Academy. For Merchant Marine Academy, the upper age limit is 25.
- Be a United States Citizen at the time he or she enters the Service Academy, and a legal resident of Tennessee.
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- Meet the minimum requirements of the Academy to which he or she is applying. Candidates who do not meet the school’s minimum requirements will not receive an interview for the Service Academy.
In addition to these eligibility standards, candidates must submit the following application requirements to be considered for a Congressional Nomination:
- Online Nomination Application
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- One (1) essay that accurately and thoughtfully answer the prompt, “Why do you want to attend a Service Academy?”
- Official High School Transcript (and College Transcript, if applicable)
- SAT and ACT Scores (can be super scored)
- Submit your test scores electronically to Senator Hagerty’s institution codes:
- SAT: 1987
- ACT: 7183
Remember the deadline to submit your Service Academy Nomination Application is Tuesday, October 5th, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Late submissions will not be considered for further review.
Please be sure that you have opened an application file with the Academy/ies you are applying to, and that you have completed any of their additional requirements. Note that graduation from a Service Academy obligates you to serve at least five years of active duty.
Senator Bill Hagerty’s Academy Nomination Process
My Service Academy Nomination Application for the class of 2026 is open from Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 through Tuesday, October 5th, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Please note that late submissions will not be accepted past the due date.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 — Application Portal Opens
Tuesday, October 5th, 2021 — Deadline to Submit Application and Other Required Materials
Mid-October through Mid-November, 2021 — Applications Reviewed | Interviews Conducted | Final Evaluations
December 2021 through January 2022 — Nomination selections made
January 31st, 2022 — Deadline for Congressional Nomination Submissions to U.S. Service Academies
Note: In light of the impacts of COVID-19, our office will continue to work with applicants to provide assistance as needed. We will continue to monitor the situation, so be sure to check back regularly for any updates. Thank you for your patience.
Candidates may submit their questions or concerns via email at Service_Academy@hagerty.senate.gov.